The Grammar School
 
The Grammar School in 1854 An engraving of The Grammar School dated 1854
 
The Grammar School, which gave fee-paying boys a classical education, was erected in Cross Street in 1841, because the locality of the earlier school, Stoneygate, had declined in respectability to become "one of the very lowest parts of the town". The architect was again Mr. John Welch and private shareholders provided funds for its construction. It was not until February 1860 that Preston Corporation bought the Grammar School for 1,527 and 10 shillings.
 
The Grammar School in 1930 A photograph of The Grammar School taken in the 1930's.
 
Top of Page
 

  | Home Page | Start of Walk | Contents

 
Document Size - 26kB
© Marian Roberts 1966