Number 11 Winckley Street, now Preston College's Department of Trade Union and Labour Studies, was the first house to be built in the Square, by William Cross in 1799 for his own occupation. When, in 1813, Mr Cross
removed to Red Scar, this house was taken over by the Addison family of
Number 5 Winckley Square. It is now "AXIS",
a training centre for the unemployed. This was once the residence of Mr Thomas Miller, of the cotton firm, Horrocks Miller, who built the house on the garden of the present No 11 Winckley Street, and also demolished houses in Butler's Court, off Fishergate, to accommodate it.