The Railways
Page Three of Four
Page Two Page Four
The East Lancashire Railway
The East Lancashire Railway was formed by an amalgamation of several railway lines in the North-West, including the Liverpool, Ormskirk & Preston Railway. A separate approach to Preston was constructed to avoid paying tolls to the North Union Railway.

The East Lancashire Railway from Todd Lane was opened in 1850. Originally this ran to its own terminus in what is now the Fishergate Centre car park, cutting between Avenham and Miller Parks by way of a splendid skew-arched bridge (Ivy Bridge). Since it ran close to the exclusive houses of Avenham the bridge and embankments were landscaped. The Borough Council even obliged the railway company to construct a footpath on the river bridge, which soon became a favourite place for watching trains! This photograph was taken c. 1900.

The railway line closed in the 1970s, but the bridge, which is a Grade II listed building, remains.

  East Lancashire Railway Bridge  
Originally the embankment carrying this line across the flood plain south of the river was by a viaduct, as can be seen in the engraving below of the Ribble from Avenham Walks which shows both the North Union Railway bridge and, in front of it, the later East Lancashire Railway bridge.
  Ribble from Avenham Walks  
Another view of the Ribble valley taken from Avenham Colonade. The tram road plates can be seen crossing at the end of the lane.
  View of the Ribble Valey from Avenham Colonade  
The viaduct was later filled in to make the embankment seen in the engraving below, "A General View of Preston" c. 1900, which shows the East Lancashire Railway on the left. The pedestrians in the foreground are walking along The Old Tram Road, which had closed some forty years earlier. Just look at the chimneys on the skyline!
  General View of Preston  
Page Two Page Four
Top of Page

  | Home Page | Start of Walk | Contents

Document Size - 155kB
© Photographs: The collections of the Harris Museum and Art Gallery, Preston.