The Southern Side of Winckley Square

Starkie House, which used to be numbered 14 Starkie Street, but is now 'Starkie House, Winckley Square'. This was the winter residence and town house of the Openshaws of Hothershall Hall.

No 13 This was the home of Paul Catterall, cotton manufacturer, who was a prominent member of the Winckley Club.

No 14 Once the Vicarage of Holy Trinity Church.

No 15 Formerly the home of Paul Catterall's brother Peter, a solicitor and first secretary of the Winckley Club now Barristers' Chambers.

Camden Place

No 5 Camden Place and the smaller house attached, were both built in the 1830's by Mr Thomas Leach, a draper, with premises in Fishergate and Cheapside (see Samuel Leach, the youngest son of Thomas Leach).

No 16 Winckley Square.

No 17 Winckley Square.

No 18 Home of Miles Myres, the Coroner and Alderman, who moved to nearby 14 Ribblesdale Place in the 1860's.

No 19 Home of Dr Pilkington, Preston's first Medical Officer of Health.

continue on the - The Western Side of Winckley Square.

Top of Page

  | The Northern Side | Start of Walk | The Eastern Side |
| Home Page | Contents

Document Size - 6kB
© Marian Roberts 1996