|The Western Side of Winckley Square|
No 20 Charter House was the home of Mrs Margaret Eccles and her son.
No's 21 & 22 21, Edward Garlick 22, Philip Park, both of Messrs, Garlick, Park & Sykes, Civil Engineers.
No 23 Home of John and Thomas Batty Addison, who first lived at No 7 Winckley Street. It is now “Paul Heathcote's Brasserie”.
No 24 Now designated Lancashire House.
No's 16 & 17 Ribblesdale Place and No's 20 - 24 Winckley Square were to become Winckley Square Convent, founded in 1875 in numbers 22 and 23 Winckley Square, by the nuns of the Society of the Holy Child Jesus.
No 25 The 'Cradle' of the Catholic Grammar School; later Worth's Commercial Hotel. In World War 2 this was the ENSA Hostel.
No's 25a, 25b & 26
No's 26a - 28 Winckley Square.
No 27 Home of
No 28 A blue plaque on the wall tells us that '
No's 27 & 28 Winckley Square were formerly the Catholic College for Boys, which later became the co-educational Newman College. This is now sited at Lark Hill,
No 29 Home of George Paley, cotton manufacturer, and then it was the Catholic Grammar School before becoming offices in the 1980's.
No 30 Formerly the office of Addie & Sons, Architects, and of the Football League!
No 33 The former offices of Messrs Garlick, Park & Sykes, civil engineers; they built all the big banks in Preston and developed Preston Dock.
No 34 The former entrance to the Catholic College is now an arched window. The College was opened here in 1899. (No's 33 & 34 are now designated as "Legal & Trade House".)
No 35 marks the end of the Western Side,
continue on the -
| Start of Walk |
The Eastern Side |
The Southern Side |
| Home Page | Contents |
|Document Size - 7kB|
|© Marian Roberts 1996|