The Two Terraces, at the southern end of the Walk were formed in 1845 following its extension westwards and the construction of a retaining wall in 1844. At one time two thirty-six pound cannons taken from Sebastopol after the Crimean War were mounted on the higher terrace.
There are extensive views of the Ribble Valley from the lower terrace at the end of the Walk. The most famous visitor to the Walk, Prince Charles Edward Stuart, The Young Pretender, described it as “an enchanting spot”. He was proclaimed at Market Cross in 1745 but was given a half-hearted reception.
The view of the Ribble Valley from the lower terrace at the end of the Walk. A few yards upstream, on the southern side, is the site for the first Mormon baptisms outside of America. The Mormon Church was founded in America in 1830. On 30th July 1837, a Mormon missionary, Elder Kimball, baptised nine converts. As no Preston clergyman would allow the baptism in church, the site by the river was chosen.
The Concrete Bridge over the river Ribble at the end of the Walk is a copy of a timber bridge constructed in 1802 to carry a tramway linking the Leeds – Liverpool canal at Walton Summit with the Lancaster and Preston canal wharfs in the town centre. The Old Tram Road was built to avoid the enormous expense of constructing an aqueduct to carry the canal across the Ribble Valley.